Back 4 Blood features several playable characters known as Cleaners. Holly is one of the most emblematic Cleaners, always in the vanguard clearing a path through the Ridden with her spiked baseball bat Dottie. Here is a complete guide to playing Holly in Back 4 Blood, and the best cards to add to her deck.
How to play Holly
Holly is an energetic young woman who loves killing Ridden. She has nothing to lose, as her family turned to Ridden after an infection by the Devil Worm swept through her home town. In terms of gameplay, this backstory translates into three perks:
- Holly recovers 10 stamina when she kills a Ridden.
- She has + 10% damage resistance.
- She grants her entire team + 25 team stamina.
Overall, Holly is one of the most resilient Cleaners in Back 4 Blood. This increased damage resistance and stamina allow her to take on Ridden at close range, running from one end of the map to the other to mash some brains.
Holly’s starting weapon is her faithful bat, Dottie. Her perks make close-range combat easier, and her starting weapon is in line with that. The best way to play Holly is to run to the melee and swing Dottie around. However, Holly should always pack a rifle as her second weapon to be able to deal with deadlier opponents who she wouldn’t want to engage in close quarters, such as Bruisers.
Best cards for Holly
The best cards for Holly are the ones improving her melee attack, stamina, and overall resistance. With the correct cards, Holly can become almost invincible at close range, and plow through enemies without a care in the world.
The best offensive cards currently available for Holly are:
- Sunder: Melee hits cause the target to take 20% increased damage for 5 seconds.
- Heavy Attack Charge: Hold LMB with melee weapons to burst forward. Charge attacks deal 100% increased damage. Note, that Dottie’s third charged attack in a combo is a downward smash which may miss enemies unless they’re directly on your crosshairs.
- Confident Killer: When you or your team kills a Mutation, you gain 2% damage (up to 100%) until the end of the level.
- Heavy Hitter: Melee hits against weak spots deal + 20 additional stumble damage.
- Berserker: Gain 10% melee damage, 10% melee speed, and 5% movement speed for each melee kill in the last 4 seconds.
- Batter Up: + 50% melee damage and + 5 health.
- Spiky Bits: + 25% melee damage, + 10% damage resistance while using a melee weapon, and – 20% ammo capacity.
- Mean Drunk: + 75% melee damage, and melee attacks cause cleave through enemies dealing damage in a large area. Be careful if you select this card, as it disables sprint.
- Meth Head: This poorly named card grants + 40% melee attack speed and + 40% melee stamina efficiency. Your melee attacks no longer stick in tough enemies. Using this card disables aim-down sights, which is not a big deal for a melee-focused character like Holly, and especially if you are also taking Motorcycle Helmet.
- Slugger: + 5 health, + 10% melee efficiency, and + 20% melee attack speed.
The best defensive cards currently available for Holly are:
- Second Chance: + 1 extra life and + 5 health
- Vanguard: + 10% melee speed. Melee kills grant 1 temporary health to nearby teammates.
- Face Your Fears: Gain 3 temporary health whenever you kill a Ridden within 2 meters.
- Ignore the Pain: Gain 20% damage resistance against Mutations while using a melee weapon.
- True Grit: When you take a single hit for 15 or more damage, heal 8 health over 5 seconds.
- Scar Tissue: Take 1 less damage from all Ridden.
- Battle Lust: Melee kills heal 2 health.
- Motorcycle Helmet: + 25% damage resistance. Using this card disables aim-down sights.
- Motorcycle Jacket: + 10% damage resistance.
- Durable: + 15% trauma resistance and + 5 health.
The best mobility cards currently available for Holly are:
- Superior Cardio: + 20% stamina, + 20% sprint efficiency and + 5 health.
- Energy Bar: + 20% stamina regeneration and + 5 health.
- Evasive Action: When you take a hit for 10 or more damage, gain 20% movement speed for 3 seconds.
- Cross Trainers: + 20% stamina, + 20% stamina regen, + 3% movement speed and + 5 health.
Cards providing a team effect are always good to have, even if they are not specific to Holly. Mandatory PT for example brings +10% stamina to the entire team, which is a great stat to have for Holly.
Keep in mind that the more cards you have in your deck, the lesser the chances are to draw the one you want early on in the game. There is no minimum size for a deck, so make sure to only pick your best cards to avoid drawing junk you don’t need.
Stay tuned to SQUAD for more Back 4 Blood guides!