Chongyun is a Cryo 4-star champion in Genshin Impact. His kit focuses on augmenting physical damage into Cryo damage, and works well as both a main DPS and a support character. Here is your complete guide to playing Chongyun in Genshin Impact.
Attack: Demonbane – Chongyun’s has a 4-part basic attack chain. Chongyun’s charged attack is a spin attack that drains stamina over time. At the end of this animation it does a powerful slash.
Elemental Skill: Spirit Blade Chonghua’s Layered Frost – Chongyun slams down his claymore to do AOE Cryo damage in front of him. He leaves behind a zone that converts all Physical Damage in the area from Claymore, Sword and Polearm weapons into Cryo damage. This works well as a support skill, because it stays on the field when swapping characters. However, if not used correctly it can ruin damage phases.
Elemental Burst: Spirit Blade Cloud-parting Blade – Chongyun summons down three giant spirit blades that crash down, dealing massive AOE Cryo damage and launching enemies. This elemental burst is great for quick burst damage and interrupting enemy animations. Once you have Rimechaser Blade, cast your ultimate after your Elemental Skill drops the sword.
Passive Talent: Steady Breathing – Chongyun’s Elemental Skill boosts the attack speed of Claymore, Sword and Polearm wielders by 8%. While the attack speed buff is not the biggest in the game, it does help with outputting damage faster, especially on Claymore users.
Passive Talent: Rimechaser Blade – When Chongyun’s Elemental Skill dissappears, a spirit blade crashes down, dealing Cryo damage and reducing Cryo Resistance by 10% for a short period of time. This provides a solid power spike for Chongyun and pairs well with his Elemental Burst to increase its damage.
Passive Talent: Gallant Journey – When dispatched on an expedition in Liyue, time consumed is reduced by 25%. This talent works similarly to Bennett’s third passive. Nothing special here to note here.
- C1: Ice Unleashed – The last attack of Chongyun’s Normal Attack combo releases 3 ice blades. Each blade deals 50% of Chongyun’s ATK as Cryo DMG to all enemies in its path.
- C2: Atmospheric Revolution – Elemental Skills and Elemental Bursts cast within the Frost Field created by Spirit Blade – Chonghua’s Layered Frost have their CD time decreased by 15%.
- C3: Cloudburst – Increases the level of Spirit Blade – Cloud-parting Star by 3.
- C4: Frozen Skies – Chongyun regenerates 1 Energy every time he hits an enemy affected by Cold or Frozen status effects.
- C5: The True Path – Increases the level of Spirit Blade – Chonghua’s Layered Frost by 3.
- C6: Rally of Four Blades – Spirit Blade – Cloud-parting Star deals 15% more DMG to enemies with a lower percentage of their Max HP remaining than Chongyun. This skill will also summon 1 additional spirit blade.
Chongyun pairs best with artifacts that have Cryo Damage bonus and Physical Damage bonus. Noblesse Obliege, Gladiator’s Finale and Martial Artist are the best artifact sets to run on Chongyun. Noblesse Obliege should only be built to the 2-set bonus, while Gladiator’s Finale and Martial Artist are best at the 4-set bonus.
Once a Cryo Damage Bonus set is added, it will also be strong on Chongyun.