Every MMORPG player has a favorite weapon, and also a weapon they really dislike or straight up hate. Albion Online has a tendency to surprise players, and the developers have actually managed to convince me that Crossbows, a weapon type I usually steer clear of, is the absolute best weapon for the game. Today I’ll be sharing with you my reasons for playing with Crossbows in Albion Online, as well as some basic information and a couple of good Crossbow builds.
Crossbows are good for new and experienced Albion Online players
When I first started playing the game, I was overwhelmed by the fact that there are no classes and we can just switch between the different weapons of the game at any time, so I just went with what felt most comfortable to me: the bow.
Every MMO I play, I tend to go with the bow or staff. However, I soon learned that the bow is very limited when it comes to PvE, so eventually I swapped it for a Fire Staff. It never even crossed my mind to try the Crossbow.
As the game is quite complex, I started watching streamers and YouTubers to help me get the gist of the game, and eventually I came across Jacky Ace. This YouTuber taught me a lot about Albion Online, and my absolute favorite thing of his was watching him sweep the floor with enemies at Hellgates while using a Crossbow.
Benefits of the Crossbow
The Crossbow is without question one of the most complete and versatile weapons of the game. You’d think a Crossbow is only good for long-range battles, and while that is somewhat true, this weapon comes with a lot of special skills that will help complete what it lacks in short-range combat:
- Invisibility and increased movement speed.
- A magical barrier around the player which reflects incoming damage back at the attacker, whilst increasing the player’s resistance.
- Increase in damage and healing power.
- A lot of physical damage, which consequently reduces the target’s armor and magic resist.
These are just the skills and benefits that come with using the Boltcasters. Each individual crossbow will provide better or just different benefits.
Types of Crossbows in Albion Online
- Light Cross. The Light Cross is the meta weapon at the moment, perfect for PvE and HCEs. It’s a weapon that switches between direct damage and area damage with its mighty bomb. Out of all the crossbows, this one is my favorite, and it has the option of using off-hand.
- Siege Bow. The Siege Bow is one of the most used crossbows on ZvZs, for its special perks. It can be used for PvE as well, though it isn’t designed for it.
- Boltcaster. The Boltcaster is a 1v1 weapon, and it works nicely for the Avalonian dungeons, because of its huge damage output. It can be used in PvP, though it is easily outmatched by other weapons.
- Weeping Repeater. If you’ve never stepped on a ZvZ mine and died, you are lucky as hell. This weapon, although it might not seem like it, is a ZVZ beast! One of these in the middle of a ZvZ can completely change the course of battle. Its area damage is insanely good, and this Crossbow can be used for PvE as well.
- Crossbow. The Crossbow is a snipe weapon. It can be quite deadly in a ZvZ and a lot of people who use it there tend to go full Rambo with it. With the right build, this weapon can destroy key players in a ZvZ, such as the healer and top tier DPS. As for PvE, it is one of the most useless weapons of the moment.
- Energy Shaper. This Avalonian Crossbow has a lot of potential. It is insanely good, although to be fair, its price hardly ever compensates for the damage it deals.
These are the main Crossbow types, all of which I recommend, though choose your Crossbow wisely and according to the situation you plan on using it in.
Special build for Boltcasters
There are countless builds you can create with crossbows and you should always adjust the builds to their purpose.
For example, if you are a solo player and wish to rock out that Boltcaster in an Avalonian dungeon, then a good build option is:
- Hunter Hood
- Druid Robe
- Shoes of Tenacity
Special build for Light Crossbow
On the other hand, if you are leaning more towards a Light Crossbow, then a good build you should consider using is:
- Mercenary Hood
- Cleric Robe
- Mage Sandals
- Light Crossbow
- Mutton Stew
- Poison Potion
This build is good for both PvP and PvE.
So there you have it. If you have never used Crossbows in Albion Online before, I really hope you at least give them a try, as they might surprise you. They definitely surprised me.