In early November, rumors began to circulate about a potential announcement and reveal of the official Diablo 4 release, beta, and early access date at The Game Awards (TGA) last week. Stemming from interviews and snippets shared mainly by Windows Central and the XboxERA podcast, we now know they are true!
Diablo 4 is set to release on June 6, 2023 (6-6-23) – I’m guessing waiting until 2060 to secure the cheeky launch date (6-6-60) would have had diminishing returns.
At TGA on Dec. 8, 2022 – confirming community rumors and credible speculation – the formal release date was revealed for Playstation, Xbox, and PC with the official release date trailer.
The release date trailer was debuted to audiences of TGA ’22 alongside some details on how to access and join the Diablo 4 beta – specifically the ‘open beta early access.’
In our previous article, we shared how to sign up for the closed beta test, which ended Nov. 18. Blizzard also confirmed that the open beta would begin “early 2023.”
As a recap, here are the rumors, paired with what has now been revealed:
- The release date of Apr. 2023 will be announced at TGA 2022
- HALF-TRUE – it was announced at TGA but the official date is June 6, 2023
- Pre-orders will open shortly after that and will include open beta access
- TRUE – pre-orders are available now and come with open beta access; however, only the Digital Deluxe and Ultimate editions offer “up to four days early access”
- Open beta begins in Feb. 2023
- FALSE – Blizzard’s official position is “Actual platform availability and launch date(s) of the Beta subject to change. See Diablo.com for more details. Minimum Open Beta duration is 2 days.”
- Season 1 will be tentatively scheduled for late Q2 or Q3 2023
- TRUE – in that it’s still the latest official word we have from the devs, since this coincides with the actual release, and the upgraded versions come with battle pass/season unlocks and tier skips
What it means for gamers
THE WAIT IS (almost) OVER! Diablo IV will be here on June 6, 2023, and with it, open beta access coming soon, up to 4 days of early access on the full launch, and a number of in-game and season/battle pass perks.
Each edition has its own set of cumulative perks and items but here it should be noted that only the Digital Deluxe and Ultimate Editions offer four days of early access from the regular launch date in June. Only the Ultimate Edition includes these and the 20 tier skips and premium version of the seasonal battle pass at launch.
See you in hell!